hot topic: your book isn't going to write itself

By Brooke Riley - January 05, 2022

 


something I struggled with in the majority of 2021 was taking my writing seriously. I let imposter syndrome fill my head up with doubts and insecurities about my writing. I hyperfocused on how my Instagram stopped growing and has not gotten above 435 followers. (and before you say "it's not about the follow count" I have a post coming up soon on why, as an author or a business owner, follower count does matter and why you shouldn't be shamed or shame others for that. so keep an eye out for that.) 

I stopped believing in myself. It didn't matter that people told me they loved my books.

it didn't matter that my critique partner and best friend would read through some older manuscripts of new stories and tell me how much she loved them.

it didn't matter that I sold a lot of preorders for my second book. 

it didn't matter. 

none of it mattered. 

I stopped believing in myself and my writing. 

I stopped taking my writing seriously.

In 2021, I had nothing to show for my writing. I had a book published in September that I drafted originally for NaNoWriMo 2019. That book was a labor of a few years of work. Even though it was published in 2021, it was mostly done by the beginning of the year. 

I didn't value my writing or my dedication to it. 

Some days, I thought about quitting after I got my third book out. Because a promise I made to myself going into indie publishing is I would never leave my readers hanging. I would finish what I started. 

A couple days into this year of 2022, I made a choice. 

If I want writing to be career...

If I want my books to sell, to be known, to be loved by readers all around...

If I want to be able to make money doing the things I love to do...

I'm going to have to write. and I'm going to have to do it even on the days I'm not loving it. 

I'm not saying I'm going to write every day. I'm not even saying I'm going to have a set routine because honestly, with my work schedule, and my life schedule, I can't have a super-specific time of the day to sit down for hours and write. 

But I can carve out enough time on some days to chip away at my book. 

I can write instead of watching a twenty-minute youtube video. 

I can write in the five to ten minutes I'm cooling down from working out. 

I can write thirty minutes before I go to bed. 

I can write in the middle of the day. 

I can and should write. 

This is what I want to do with my life. And I wasn't taking it seriously because I felt like no one else was. And guess what? they probably weren't.

Because if I couldn't take my writing seriously... why should they? what trust or hope can they put in me if I'm just brushing aside my writing? 

Writing Book Three has been a challenge. It's a challenge because last books in a series or trilogy are full of pressure. They either suck, or they soar. And obviously, I want mine to soar. 

But I let my doubt and fears prevent me from even writing it or working on it too much. 

If you don't write the book, it is going to suck because it's not going to exist in the first place. 

So my challenge to you is this: if you want writing to be your career, be it part-time or full-time, if you want people to value what you have to offer this world, if you want people to take your craft seriously... you have to be the first person to do that. It can't be someone else. it's you in this journey, not them. 

and the fear of bad reviews or people hating what you have to offer is hard. but it's also inevitable because no book is for everybody. 

so go out there and write. 

take your book seriously.

and take care of yourself.

drink some water and get some food and get off the fricking YouTube videos. Go create your future as a best-selling author. 

<3

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. I have read this post twice - it's exactly what I needed to hear today. <3 I'm sorry that you've been feeling this way about your writing, and it's so rough to have those imposter thoughts cycling through your brain. But you'll get there. You've absolutely got this, Brooke. <3

    and "if you want writing to be your career, be it part-time or full-time, if you want people to value what you have to offer this world, if you want people to take your craft seriously... you have to be the first person to do that" - holy shoot, that hits hard. <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad this spoke to you! it has been something I've been feeling lately and thought maybe others needed to hear it, too. Thank you for all your encouragement, Nicole! it means so much!!

      Delete
  2. Love this! It's exactly what I needed to hear and what I'm trying to start this year with. Thanks sm for sharing, Brooke! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for reading. I'm so glad it spoke to you <3 <3 good luck with all your writing endeavors

      Delete
  3. This is so relatable. Thank you for sharing this super personal struggle. You aren't alone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post helps so much <3 Thank you for writing it. Thank you for being awesome. Thank you for being you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't write a lot either in 2021, and I'm not proud of that. I know I was holding myself back because it was just too hard and I felt a lot pressure to have something to share to people. I realise though that I need to take a big step back and just write for me. There's a time for writing for people, but there's also a time for writing for myself. Right now, I want to impress me and make me fall in love with it. I think one of things to take your writing seriously, is seriously care for it like you want readers to do.
    I feel this so hard. My goal for writing in 2022 is literally to focus more on it and show up for it just a few days a week, especially when I don't feel like it. These days I never feel like writing, but that's okay. I don't need my feelings to be in the right place for me to write.
    "and get off the fricking YouTube videos" I feel like you were talking to me. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spend too much time on Youtube, even now. I'm working on it. It's a bad addiction. But I think using it as a reward for when you do something and write a little, that's when its a helpful tool. I also struggle with getting words down and feeling like I have to please everyone out there but now I'm just focusing on getting it right for me. <3 <3 <3

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I aim to use YouTube as a way to motivate me to clean something or tidy my room or make food for myself. I want to watch YouTube with intention, so to me the best time is while doing something that is important but what I don't feel like doing generally. Love that. <3 <3 <3

      Delete