2023 reading and writing goals + january TBR

By Brooke Riley - January 04, 2023



Hello and Happy New Year! 

Today, I wanted to share with you some of my goals for this year. I also want to talk about my January TBR! 

This year, the keyword I'm going for is simplicity. I need things to be simple, achievable, and relaxed. I have found that the simpler things are, the better it truly is. Making things too complicated takes the fun out of it. 

Many of my "resolutions" this year are personal mental and physical goals. But I'm going to share my writing and reading goals for this year. 



  • draft {wip name redacted}

  • self-edit {wip name redacted}

  • give the second draft to my critique partner (aka Faith)

  • find betas for the next draft

  • send to my editor

  • get a cover made

  • publish 

  • write at least two blog posts a month and publish them to both blog and newsletter



I am super hopeful about this work in progress, but I also am not going to force myself to get everything set up with this book, either. I understand that starting a new project is going to take some time. 

But I can't wait to reveal more soon!


  • read 24 books

  • make a tbr for each month and read those books 

  • tentative goal: read 50 books

  • reread shadow and bone for January

  • reread the summer we forgot in the summer 


24 books is my goal on GoodReads, but I also want to read at least two books a month. I lose sight of reading when I get super busy. I want to learn how to make time for it. 

This leads me to the next part of this blog post!



Each month, I am going to set a two-book TBR (to be read) goal. Life is busy and I don't think we always need some long list of books to try to accomplish. having two books is attainable and easy, giving me at least two weeks per book. Most likely, I'll read more than that in some months, but this gives me more room to attain my reading goals. 

For the month of January, my TBR is simple. 


  • reread Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

  • Book of Night by Holly Black


Currently, I'm reading The One by Kiera Cass, which is part of The Selection series. While super cheesy and very 2010's writing, I'm enjoying the simplicity of it. 

What about you, friend? any reading goals for the month? any personal goals you want to share? let's chat in the comments!




want my posts to your inbox? click here to subscribe to my mailing list/newsletter! it's 100% free!







  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. This is such a good list! (and I can't wait for our buddy read mwahaha) Looking forward to 2023 and our adventures!

    ReplyDelete