time for some honesty

By Brooke Riley - February 08, 2023

 hello. 

I realize it's been a little while since I posted. the truth is, I haven't felt very motivated to post. I was starting to get consistent here and on Instagram. but unfortunately, it just feels like I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing when it comes to marketing and posting, and being present online. 

it's not in my nature to want to be on social media. but I want to talk about books and life. the issue is, I haven't really been writing lately. 

that's not to say I don't want to be writing. I'm just struggling to write anything. 

which leads me to say something pretty disheartening. 

I am shelving my wip, Runaways. I know this is going to make some people sad. I've had people excited for these characters. but my heart is not in this project. I know one day, this will become more than just a few pages of words. but for now, I have to focus on a different project that my heart is actually on fire for. 

But I don't want to say too much yet until I know that I can make it happen. 

the issue within the indie community is authors who don't seem to take it seriously enough. ones who will keep starting projects, never finishing the ones they have. 

I don't want to be like that. I want to be consistent and focused and reliable. so it does pain me that I'm having to stop working on this book. but at the end of the day, it's important I give you a book that is quality and has my whole heart, not one I felt forced to write. 

there is also one more piece of news I'm giving. And that is... I love blogging. truly. it's my start. it's where it all began for me. 

but I just don't have the time to constantly churn out blog posts. 

I have decided to attempt to write a bi-weekly newsletter for now. 

I am not leaving blogging. I don't think I can ever stay away for too long. but maintaining my presence here while trying to build a platform on my social media has been too hard. having time to write newsletters with insider information is more up my alley. 

For now, I will continue with substack. I do hope to find a better newsletter platform, but if you want to keep up with me and my writing, you can subscribe to my newsletter here!

You can also follow my Instagram for more day-to-day writing things. 

I will sometimes post here, maybe more writing-related things, like short stories and snippets. but it won't be on a set schedule. it will totally at random. 

with all that being said, thanks for being a loyal reader through all the ups and downs of my blogging career. 

keep rising <3

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. We support you no matter what <3 And I'm so proud of you for chasing the stories of your heart.

    ReplyDelete