Writing Update: June 2022

By Brooke Riley - June 04, 2022



Hello and welcome back to my humble little blog!

Before we begin, let me address the elephant in the room. My blog name, URL, and appearance has changed a little. I needed something more neutral and this is my author blog. I talk about my books, writing advice, and a little about my life. While I'm not entirely sure I won't go back to Everglow (I have an identical blog header made with the title "Everglow" instead of my name just in case), I want this place to be like an author website. This is where you'll get more in-depth content that I don't post on social media. I loved having my blog named after a Starset song, but this change feels necessary. 

But I'm going through a season of changes. So I don't know what I might decide in a week or two. It's truly hard to navigate what I want with my branding right now. So bear with me on that. Now... onto the writing update!!

The last time I made a writing update was in November of 2021 so I felt like it was high time I gave y'all an update. As you know, I have two young adult dystopian books out called How We Rise and United We Fall. I am currently working on the third and final book to the RISE trilogy, called Here We Stand. 

Currently, my critique partner is reading through my book to give me feedback. I'm going to go through it when she finishes it, go over her comments and overall feedback, and edit some chapters that I know need some work. Then I'm going to work on scheduling my editor. And hopefully, this book will be ready before the year is over. Because I'm ready for it to come out into the world. I'm also ready to fix up the other two books and their formatting errors. 

In terms of a timeline... I don't have one yet. It's harder for me to put down a timeline when a lot of the big steps to making a book a reality have not been put in place. I truly want this book to be out this year. 

This book hasn't been the easiest to write. Endings are hard to finish. Goodbyes are hard to give. These characters have been a constant in my life for many years. Letting them go is a struggle. Yet at the same time, I've grown as a writer. My voice has changed over the years. 

The other issue is I have expectations, not only from myself but from my readers as well. And it's made me super scared to get this book wrong. It was recently that I finally decided that this book has to be what I need it to be. Because if I don't write it how I want it to be written, I will never be happy with it. And while it's hard to deal with writing these characters for the last time, I know that I'm finally on the right track with this book. 

If you follow me on Instagram (which you totally should), you'll have seen some quote posts from the third book. I love posting quotes from my books because they help remind me that there are good lines among the ones that I feel need help or fixing. 

So that's basically it for the writing update. I know this was short, but it's all I have for now. If you'd like to keep up with my writing journey, follow my Instagram. I post frequently and I'm always posting to my stories. 

Until next time...

Keep Rising <3


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I'm so excited for you to finish this book <3 It's going to be INCREDIBLE. I'm loving everything about it right now.

    ReplyDelete