{p o e t r y} i was lost

By Brooke Riley - November 26, 2021

I was lost
adrift in the stars
then your gravity pulled me in
caught up in your pull on me
I became what you wanted

slowly, slowly
I felt the shift
the waves of change
rippling through my skin 

and in the darkest parts of me
there was you 
and in your darkest parts
I tried to change

you drew constellations to my skin
and in your galaxy, I ignited 
the flames of too fast
too hard
too soon
burning me up inside

and you were the rain
to douse the embers
to quench the fire

like hot and cold
we burned and froze
until we were nothing
but ash on the floor

you were the sun
and I was the one flying on wings of wax
hoping to get close enough
to feel the warmth

but the thing with heat
is to burn is to freeze
to feel nothing at all
to fall from the sky and into the ocean
to break apart and mean nothing 

ensnared in what I thought was love
until you showed me pain
your stars didn't caress but burned my skin
and I had to fall apart
and start again



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. Wow! That was so good, I love it so much! I love the beautiful melancholy of it <3

    www.melodypersonetteauthor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much!! it was one of my favorites to write! I'm not even sure what the muse was ๐Ÿ˜‚

      Delete
  2. I love how it feels like a whole story is inside this and yet it's only nine paragraphs, wow. <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahhh thank you! that's what I was hoping to accomplish!! <3

      Delete