{w r i t i n g} post wip depression

By Brooke Riley - November 03, 2021


I had a different post planned... but I'm writing this the night before you'll see this because... there's something I want to talk about. 


I saw a reel on Instagram the other day about post wip depression and I've realized that it's affecting me deeply after finishing book three. I finished book three on October 30th. And it was exciting and amazing... but it also hurts. 

those characters have been with me since I was in my younger teens. they've helped raise me. and as I take on a November writing challenge with a goal to write every day... I'm struggling. I did not add words to my wip today. I had no excuse, either. I literally sat in front of my computer for almost two hours total, doing other things when I could've been writing. and part of me is beating myself up for it. but part of me... hurts. I miss my beloved characters. and while I know I still have to edit the book like crazy and take time to perfect everything about it before it's published, the big part is over. the drafting is over. their stories have a definitive beginning and end now. 

and my heart hurts from that. 

and while I know I'm not ruling out spin-off books or short stories or other things, it's hard to really jump into a new wip, even one I'm excited to work on. because there's this lingering sadness from leaving behind a world I have been in for many years. 

And so I wrote this post for anyone feeling that way as they jump into NaNo or whatever project they may have. it's okay to miss what you used to have. it's okay to miss the characters that helped you grow. it's okay to miss something you've grown used to and is now suddenly gone.

you'll find more worlds to get lost in. and no one is stopping you from going back to visit if you need to. it's okay to need time to process between wips. take that time to let the healing begin. 

take care of yourself, friend. I know there's so much pressure in November to write a novel, but you don't have to put that pressure on yourself if you're not ready yet. it's okay to take time to yourself to process everything and say goodbye to the stories that raised you. 

and remember, new worlds will always be here waiting when you're ready to enter them. 

keep rising, friend. <3

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. This…this is beautiful. Oh my word. These feelings were so familiar at the end of 2019, and even now there’s a sorrow I feel whenever I think about the fact that I’ll never be writing Pentegreens for the first time again. (Maybe that’s why I’m changing it all up so much, hahahaha…)

    But sincerely: keep writing. I love you. I love your writing. And even beyond the world of HWR, I can’t wait to see what beautiful tales you spin about the best characters. ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much. I'm very excited about all the changes you're making to your books. I'm excited to see you taking control of your books and forgetting the bad outside influences. Your books are so much more than what they reduced them to be <3 <3

      thank you so much boo <3

      Delete
  2. It's funny how we are taught to finish our WIPs as fast as possible, but sometimes we need to consider that slowing down and taking our time with the story might better for us. I honestly have a fear lately of leaving behind the characters and their stories that I have been in for years now. It's so scary to me cause I know I will miss them terribly. I don't want to let go one day. Though it will be years before I'll be done with them, I still panic a little about finishing their stories for good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely take your time and enjoy the process of it all. everything comes in the time its meant to and that's a beautiful process. and don't worry, the characters will never leave your head xD

      Delete