{o c t o b e r} i'm gonna miss it when it's over

By Brooke Riley - October 27, 2021




what a month. 

no words, just the new album from Starset, Horizons. If you haven't listened, you should. If you're tired of me yelling about starset, tired of hearing about starset, and detest the very name of the band because of how much I talk about them... #sorrynotsorry. They honestly help me through so much that I can't not say anything about them. 

only Dustin Bates could write a song that includes actual poetry and make it rock music with violins and classical instruments and theatrical sounds and just... how is it not everyone is listening yet?? 

anyway, I'll get off my starset high horse (or perhaps it's a spaceship) and talk about my month.

there isn't much to say. 

I got a new aloe plant.
I reached 50k on book three.
I worked. 
I cried. 
I decided I was human and that it's okay to cry. 
I got excited about all the literature references in the new starset album (yes, I know, I'm mentioning them again, I'm sorry 🤭)

I realized long distance sucks, especially when all you want is to just be by someone and drive around and do nothing or just... feel less alone. 

October was a month of loneliness. Of trying to discover who I could be, who I might be, and falling flat on my face for things out of my reach. 

I wrote poetry, none of it good
mostly just my feelings out on a page
so I could process my hurt and anger 
and maybe there's a bit of broken heart too
even though I don't know where it might come from
maybe I do...

there was good food consumed and there were fun times but it felt like a blur and there was no pause button like there might be on the xbox controller that I use. 

it was a month of... waiting.
waiting for answers.
waiting for understanding. 

there are things I don't understand about myself right now. things I'm concerned about. things that don't make sense. and I'm trying to figure out how to adult and breathe and exist and balance and and and...

maybe you feel like this too. 
spun out and unable to bear it. 
don't give up. 
I'm not going to give you a cheesy word of hope. 
because even I don't know what hope looks like right now. 
but I know there's purpose in all of this. 
hold on to one thing you like. one thing you love.
a song.
a book.
a word. 
an object.
a human.
live for that one thing.
no matter how big or small.
live for it. 
keep moving. 

I hope November brings you peace. I hope November brings me peace. 
keep rising, friend. 
🥀

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Horizons. Freaking Horizons. Thank you for getting me hooked on that album. And thank you for all of these thoughts. I appreciate it so much--your honesty, your heart. It's all so beautiful and I am so honored to be your best friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean you weren't getting out of this not being hooked on the album so 😌 my job is done. Not as honored as I am to even exist in the same timeline as you, bestie

      Delete
  2. Love the image you used! If We were Villains is so good.
    I'm going to miss October too.
    Okay I need to drop everything and listen to this album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHH thank you!! I have never read the book but now I must! Yessss you must!

      Delete
  3. I've been where you are. In all honesty, I'm still fighting most days because 2021 hit me to my very core and I'm still trying to discover the new me. I've been an adult for almost a year now and yet I've been through so much, it's insane. But despite it all, things have gotten better, though in a up and down way. I guess life isn't ready to be steady for me. I just... relate so hard to this. And I know there is hope found when you don't give up.
    I love that advice you left at the end of this post because YES I actually did that when life was more rough than it is now, and those little and big things really helped me cope with life. I know it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you related to this post! little things are sometimes the only things we can hold onto. keep fighting because I know life has a lot in store for you! you're awesome! <3

      Delete